<VV> batteries

Hank Kaczmarek kaczmarek@charter.net
Sat, 3 Jul 2004 09:27:36 -0400

all

Interesting thread

In 10 years of selling batteries, I have seen and heard much. Most of it has
no footing in sense or logic.

As far as quality goes, in the 60's and 70's,  IMO the Willard/Exide battery
was the one I always chose and had great luck with, even in the cold of the
north.

** factoid**  Although Sears spent many years touting how their batteries (as
other companies also did) didn't fail in the cold weather, Batteries fail more
often in high ambient temps than in low. The only exception here is that
batteries will fail if they freeze completely. Even if the case doesn't crack
open.  You have to get to around a wind chill of -60 F. to accomplish this.
Can happen, but usually doesn't.

**Factoid""---Even when the Sears Diehard WAS a good battery, there ALWAYS
were two different versions of each DieHard.
Ex.Weatherhandler NORTH and Weatherhandler SOUTH. Southern batteries didn't
have the number of plates, or the CCA of the Northern units.

Lon speaks of dealer installed batteries, and how flimsy they seemed. Here's
some interesting facts from behind the Parts Counter.

+++ In the 90's  Ford Factory installed batteries seemed to automatically die
at 12 months, the end of the Bumper to Bumper warranty that actually includes
the battery.  I sold DOZENS of replacements at Western Auto and Advance.  But
this is no longer the case. The Motorcraft Battery in my 00 Ranger is the
original, and still in fine shape.

+++Contrary to Lon's experience, In the 2 years I have worked at the Chevrolet
dealer, I have had 0, yes 0 problems with factory installed batteries. but
there is logic in Lon's statement......When you are going to buy millions of
batteries in a single year, fraction of a penny savings adds up quickly. So
the dealer installed batteries are of a lower quality than an off the shelf
model. The manufacturer is only worried about it getting you through the first
12 months. But IMO Battery technology has improved so much that now even a
lower quality battery lasts longer.

Which FLAPS do you go to for a battery???

SOME Exide batteries are still worth buying....The ones made for NAPA are IMO
damn fine quality. As with interstate, independent shops can't have customers
coming in like a revolving door 'cause their battery sucks. I VERY RARELY see
NAPA doing battery adjustments. Often times due to their quick delivery, I use
NAPA for non GM batteries in used cars or service customer cars, in 2.5 years
(2 at the dealer and 6mos at NAPA) I haven't had a problem with a NAPA battery
yet.

Sears batteries are a lower level of quality these days, with that I am in
agreement.

ADVANCE auto batteries are made by GNB, and they absolutely stink. Always
have, and probably always will. only redeeming feature ---THE PRICE

If I need an Off the Shelf Battery,  I go to Twilight Zone (AKA Autozone).
Their DURALAST line is made by Johnson Controls, who made batteries for
Western Auto, now makes them for GM, and is the ONLY producer of Interstate
batteries.   I have been in their plant in NC, and the Duralast and the
Interstate have as their only production difference---the color of the case.
That is why the Duralast Gold line has a 3 year free replacement warranty.
Longer than any free replacement out there that I know of.

Garden Tractor batteries----Had a twilight Zone one in mine for 3 years, not a
peep out of it.  Buy one at advance, and every spring you will be back for
another.  only a 12 month warranty ---_GOTCHA!!!! Again, Price is the factor.

Want your battery to last??  Pay some attention to it and if it isn't a GNB,
you should get predictable service from it.

HANK