<VV> Optima Batteries

Dale Dewald dkdewald@pasty.net
Wed, 07 Jul 2004 16:09:35 -0400

At 10:00 AM 7/6/04 -0400, Joe White wrote:

>Is anyone using an Optima in an EM? If so, what model?

Hello Joe,

The Optima Yellow Top group 51 battery (specifically the 51F) will replace
the Group 53 battery used in EM Corvairs and FC's.  The group 51 size has
equal or greater ratings than any group 53 battery you might find, even
though it is approximately the same width and height, but 2/3 the length of
the group 53.  The Optima Yellow Top is a deep discharge type battery
similar to a marine starting battery--the Red Top is an automotive starting
battery.  The 51 size is only available as a Yellow Top.

I have a 51F Yellow in our '65 Greenbrier, an Optima Red Top 34/78 (should
be an F) in my wife's '65 Monza, a pair of D34/78 Yellows in our 01 Dodge
2500 w/Cummins turbodiesel, and a single D34 Yellow in our '85 Jeep
Cherokee w/Renault turbodiesel.

As they die, I will eventually replace all of our conventional vehicle
batteries with Optimas.

Dale Dewald
Hancock, (UP) MI