<VV> Re: Electric heat

Jon Gilbert jon@gilbertgrp.com
Tue, 6 Jul 2004 18:41:37 -0400

OK -- based on the wattage requirements, maybe electric heat isn't a good
idea after all...  I will work on fixing the stock setup.  Thanks to
everyone for weighing in on this topic.

As for the bad smell, it appears to be mostly oil.  I don't really detect
any exhaust fumes in it.  I will strip down the underside of the car and get
rid of all the accumulated lube in the shrouds, and clean out the hoses and
duct.  I'll also see about upgrading the fan.

Regardless of the nasty smells, my chief complaint with the whole mess is
that it really does not defog well.  I will get into the innards and see
what leaks, etc I can find.  But I think that the hard Florida downpours are
filling up my lower shrouds with water, then the system is pumping hot wet
air onto my cool windshield, which then condenses into fog.

Joe Potts -- is this your experience down in Miami too?  Do you have any
other ideas for me?  Thanks.

---snip---
From: <kaczmarek@charter.net>
... BTW, during rainy test miles on the EUM, I had to turn on the defroster
to keep the window clear (no T-Stat Pans on here in summer) and the new
hoses from Lon, High output Blower fan from NAPA, and clean duct and
sheetmetal cleared the window just as quickly as my 00 Ranger waterpumper. I
anticipate warm dry, non-smelly heat this winter after I put the pans back
on.
IS it some work to clean your shrouds, fix your oil leaks (if you have
any)be sure your hoses are good and such??
Well, it is. But you will have your passengers,as well as Volkswagen Beetle
fans amazed at the amount of clear, dry heat the Vair motor puts out, and
how quickly.
Regards
HANK
---snip---