<VV> POR 15 concern for mating parts

Larry Forman Larry@Forman.net
Thu, 08 Jul 2004 21:52:34 -0700

At 10:01 PM 7/8/2004 -0400, N2VZD@aol.com wrote:
>i just finished spraying por15 on the big volvo outdrives on my  boat last
>week.  i used a touchup gun to do it and was very surprised at the
>coverage over
>cleaned up aluminum castings. i went to a rustprooofing gun to get it into
>the areas hard to get at behind the drives. i know it put too much on but
>thats
>ok under water at all times.i then used up the remainder of what i had on the
>drives as a second coat. i am new to this stuff , but i really like the
>results. i plan on doing the underneath of my rampy, my greenbrier, and my
>lakewood.
>  i think i will also do the gas tanks and oil pans etc on my modern cars. i
>would like to know how long this stuff has been out and any notes on long
>term
>results are. i have someone who wants to use it on new equipment being
>made to
>use under very harsh conditions. this would mean a large sale for our corvair
>supplier if i can prove its worth. anyone have it on more than a couple years
>in bad conditions?  regards tim colson

Hi Tim,
SPRAY POR-15?!  WOW.  I know that you need to have all the special
breathing gear to protect your lungs, and I don't have all the stuff I need
to do that.  While I really like POR-15, I did not brush it recently on my
assembled 4-speed and differential I spent hours cleaning and now would
like to paint.  My concern (really fear) was that some of it would seep
into some cracks or threaded holes and essentially weld two parts
together.  Not really weld, but prevent them from EVER being moved relative
to each other.  I did not want the side adjusters to become
non-adjustable.  Likewise for some of the internal parts in the tranny that
stick out or are flush with the case exterior.  I know you can mask, but
since POR-15 is so "self-leveling" aka flows really well into small places,
I did not want to take a chance.  I understand that if you don't place
plastic over the top lid of the POR-15 can that the POR-15 will prevent the
top lid from EVER being removed, if just a little gets on that lid.  If I
was overly concerned, then please enlighten me, since I could still brush
it on the diff and tranny.  I just don't want to make a horrid mistake with
something so permanent with POR-15.

-- Larry