<VV> solid copper spark plug wires?

Arjay Morgan n3lkz@yahoo.com
Thu, 15 Jul 2004 22:30:56 -0700 (PDT)

Hello all, and here is a solid plug wire story from
the past.

Back in '67 while working at WILK, the family radio
station I noticed the engineers had a roll of high
tension cable left over from the installation of a new
5 KW transmitter. Humm, the reel said the cable was
rated @ 50,000 volts.

I was driving a very nice silver Monza convertable at
the time and I figured nice, red, solid, 50KV wires
would be a nice touch. I bought new ends and boots and
wired her up.

There was no noticeable improvement in performance,
but the red wires were sure nice. There also was no
noticeable static on the factory AM radio. I can't
speak to the noise in the following car's radio, but
if it was there I surely wouldn't have cared. Back
then, motorcycles and some trucks were the RF
offenders.

To the best of my knowlege the car and its solid red
ignition wires toddled off to a new owner without
incident. As for solid wires being illegal, that must
be something new. Back then the only engine-related
enforcement the Pennsylvania State Police ('Staties'
in the parlance of the day) did was for loud mufflers,
which we all had. Come to think of I still do, a pair
of Thrush mufflers on the 64 Monza convert, but here
in Fla. the legislature saw the light years ago and
made them legal. Tossed out state inspections as well
and just recently gave up on emissions testing. We
have our Yankees and their funny ideas, but good sense
sometimes prevails even here in the land of the
pregnant chat.

Arjay Morgan
64 Monza convert