<VV> Re: [fastvair] More ummph needed

Larry Forman Larry@Forman.net
Fri, 23 Jul 2004 20:49:16 -0700

At 10:07 AM 7/23/2004 -0400, BEllison@bbafiberweb.com wrote:
>Distributor mech advance weights are installed correctly.  (checked just
>last night - No ideas as to specs of springs)  When the weights go out, the
>rotor would turn MORE clockwise - as per Bob Helt's book.
>Timing is set around 14-16, and both vac and mech advance working.  We can
>get more out of it, if we advance it for temporary autocross, but she pings
>during daily driving.
>Bosch platinum plugs, set at .040.
>Still running points - set around 16-18.
>Stock Coil
>
>Any other ideas?
>
>Barry Ellison

Hi Barry,
Here is what I would recommend in addition to all the other excellent
comments and suggestions:
1. Replace plugs with 7502 Bosch Super Coppers (cheap and because) and use
a Flamethrower ignition coil or another good high output coil.  Never
consider running with stock 40 year old ignition coils.
2. Check your vacuum advance operation with a hand vacuum pump, aka
Mitivac.  My bet is that it starts moving at less than 6 and should not
move until about 9 or 10 inches of vacuum.  If it is less you can
"recalibrate" it by first removing it and placing it on a set of vice jaws
or between two bricks and with a 9/16 and 5/8 inch deep sockets placed over
the hose nipple, bang on the end neatly compressing it so the weak spring
is compressed slightly and closer to stock operation.  I see nearly every
one of these with too weak spring which causes the advance to come on too
fast under light throttle off idle.
3. You could consider getting a water injection system, like the Edelbrock
or something else and see if that might eliminate the knock/pinging.  This
is maybe $70 off eBay and might work or be worth trying, BUT see #4
below.  The potential problem is running out of water or not hearing the
pinging or knocking.  My ears don't hear it as well as others do, so I
really need something that protects the engine better than I can do.
4. My bets are with Ray Sedman's Safeguard Ignition system.  I have two of
these and they are all they are advertised for eliminating pinging or
knock.  I just purchased a spare cable set so I can move one around between
various cars.  Personally, I like using the Ignitor I to drive these, since
I don't need to adjust the points, ever.  Don't use an Ignitor II with the
Safeguard since both have dwell modification circuits which are not
compatible with each other.
5. Regardless of what approach you take, ensure you are not driving with
pinging or knocking and thus potentially damaging all your hard investment
in that engine.

-- Larry