<VV> Dream engine...

Tony Underwood tonyu@roava.net
Tue, 27 Jul 2004 16:11:03 -0700

At 02:45 hours 07/27/2004 -0500, Mark Chapman wrote:
>I have a theoretical question for all of you.
>
>If you were to build, or have built, your "dream" Corvair engine to be
used for the occaisional cruise, but mainly for track days or DE events,
what would this engine "look like?" This engine would be going into a
street legal 66 Monza vert body that had a very nice refurbishing done.
Suspension would be decided later also.

>This "dream car" would not be for the purist, but rather for the spirited,
experienced driver who wanted to have fun in it rather than seek Concours
points or ratings... Please keep in mind that the majority of time, this
car would spend time on the track (not autocrossed) rather than the street...

>Come on guys and gals, let me know what you think!!!

Easy.

I could think of no better choice than the SOHC Vair engine that was being
developed by GM, several of which had been built and displayed at various
car functions and shows, dyno'ed out at over 200 hp, nice to look at,
exotic even by todays standards, and was to bolt right up into a Corvair.
According to scuttlebutt one did, sneaked out of GM and into a late coupe
as an "inside job", seen in a Corvair by several people...  spoke to Dave
Newell about it and he'd heard the same story from a different source
involving a "white collar" situation.    So, there seems to be some
hear-say evidence that one of these cammer engines escaped the scrappers.
 If that engine still existed, THAT would be the one I'd want in a playtoy
Corvair.

tony..