<VV> RE: Corvair Restoration - Thanks!

RWDPLZ fiero@ferrari.cc
Tue, 27 Jul 2004 22:47:14 -0400 (EDT)

Thank you all for your replies! Here's what everyone sent, incase anyone
else is looking for the same information. I'm currently working on a model
of a 69 Corvair, but the more I read about them and look at them, the more
tempted I am to go out and buy one or two to restore myself! :) They're
very interesting cars, and share a LOT in common with my current obsession
and restoration project, the 84 Pontiac Fiero.

---------------------
Norm Witte:
Larry Claypool's "Stock Is..." series was pretty comprehensive, but the only
way to get that that I know of is to buy a bunch of old Communiques.

Dennis Nichols:
Yes, I think Larry and CORSA would do well to get those either in book
form, or
looseleaf form.

Marc Marcoulides:
I have a copy of auto restoration series sponsored by the Eastwood Co and
aired on
PBS. The copy is on VHS. The subject car in the series is a 64 Mustang but
the
processes, tools and materials are applicable to many cars of the 60's. It
has many
referances to products sold by Eastwood (I wonder why) but if you are
considering
the resto and would like a professional opinion it is a good one. I want
$20 for it
and I will pay for shipping.

Mike Mann:
try to find a copy of a book called corvair-a history and restoration
guide by bill
artzberger. it was published by aztex corporation, po box 50046, tucson az
85703-1046. library of congress catalog card no. 84-071317, isbn
0-89404-079-0. bill
ran a restoration shop and i would guess the book was published in the
80's. have no
idea on whether or not the info on aztex is current. hope this helps-mike
mann

Mike Ioanes:
Some good general Corvair books are "Corvair Basics"  available from CORSA
and the usual vendors, Bob Helt's "The Classic Corvair", from the vendors or
directly from him, I think. The appropriate shop manuals-for 65 and newer,
body information is in "assembly manuals".   I have to ask, exactly what
kind of information are you looking for?  What is stock, or how to work on
Corvairs in general?
Hope this helps

Joe White:
Bill Artzbarger (I know I'm not spelling his name correctly) wrote a stiff
bound
book about Corvair restoration. I have a copy that I bought from Clark's
many years
ago. This book includes many "how to" photographs, diagrams, and tables of
specifications. I'll get the correct title and ISBN, and post that
information
tonight.

Jim Houston:
It's Bill Artzberger.  This is what I found with a search for "corvair
restoration":
ISBN: 0894040790
Publisher: Tuscon, AZ: Aztex Corporation, 1984; Very Good Minus/No Jacket (as
issued). First Edition. 4to - over 9 3/4 " - 12" tall. VG-. Tuscon: Aztex,
1984. 176
pp. Paperback. Techniques, Detail photos, cutaway drawings, paint charts,
and a list
of suppliers for the Corvair. Essential for anybody who own one; many
diagrams and
photographs. Pages clean and unmarked, binding tight. Cover displays some
creases,
edge and corner wear, otherwise fine.
There are 5 copies listed, ranging from $99.00 to $124.00 !!
Hope this helps

Del Patten:
Heck, I'll sell my copy for 50 bucks!!!

Bob Helt:
This book frequently is available on EBAY. Sells for around $15, used.
Although IMO, this book has only about 65 pages of restoration info, since
the rest
is basically copies of other Chev literature (such as the Parts Manual..P&A
30). What is there is also mostly on body repair, and not on assuring a stock
appearance or meeting stock requirements. Otherwise restoration info there
is is
good.
Regards

Thanks again!