<VV> Re: compressing air

djtcz@comcast.net djtcz@comcast.net
Thu, 29 Jul 2004 20:26:03 +0000

> I had less than 180 deg out of turbo before intercooler at 17 psi with a TE60 on a nonvair motor.
Was the 180 degree temp F of C?  Was it temperature rise (natural with compression) or the actual discharge temp?
There is a chart in  Hugh MacInnes "Turbochargers" book that plots compressor discharge temperature VS pressure ratio for compressor efficiencies from 56% to 80% when starting with 90 degree F air.
I'd say 17 psi boost is a pressure ratio of  2.15.  With a very efficient well matched  80% efficient compressor it shows almost 260 F, which is a 170 F temperature increase from 90 F.