<VV> Re: compressing air

JVHRoberts@aol.com JVHRoberts@aol.com
Thu, 29 Jul 2004 16:43:45 EDT

You forgot to take into account the cooling effect from the vaporizing fuel.

In a message dated 7/29/2004 4:29:50 PM Eastern Standard Time,
djtcz@comcast.net writes:
> I had less than 180 deg out of turbo before intercooler at 17 psi with a
TE60 on a nonvair motor.
Was the 180 degree temp F of C?  Was it temperature rise (natural with
compression) or the actual discharge temp?
There is a chart in  Hugh MacInnes "Turbochargers" book that plots compressor
discharge temperature VS pressure ratio for compressor efficiencies from 56%
to 80% when starting with 90 degree F air.
I'd say 17 psi boost is a pressure ratio of  2.15.  With a very efficient
well matched  80% efficient compressor it shows almost 260 F, which is a 170 F
temperature increase from 90 F.