<VV> Turbo and Dual exhausts

Norman C. Witte ncwitte@wittelaw.com
Mon, 1 Mar 2004 18:18:27 -0500

>From my limited understanding of Corvair turbos, wouldn't it be an F.B.I.
(Fundamentally Bad Idea) to split the stock exhaust aft of the turbo?  I
always understood that the Corvair turbos used backpressure to limit boost.
A freer flowing exhaust *would* flow better, but the consequence would be
overboosting the motor, right?  So without a waste gate or some other such
thing, or maybe some pretty serious internal engine mods, maybe including
lowering the compression ratio, you wouldn't want to do this, is my guess,
unless you wanted to grenade the motor.

On the other hand, Frank's idea of twin turbos is way cool.

Hank, I think you should do twin turbos ULTRA (TM) style.  Just bolt them
puppies on.  I am sure flexible exhaust pipe would work just fine to plumb
the second turbo. For extra cooling, just get some extra long engine lid
bolts and stack about fifty washers on each bolt between the hinge and the
hood.  Whooooeeeeeeeeeee!!!!

I'm sure Matt can find some good used, not worn out, flat washers.

Norm Witte