<VV> newbie suspension question

Andy and Melissa bookwalters@comcast.net
Sun, 7 Mar 2004 19:19:20 -0800

I'm contemplating the removal and overhaul of my '62 Monza's front
suspension. In the wise collective opinion of this group, can a somewhat
mechanically minded, but pretty inexperienced guy like myself handle a job
like this? Symptoms of suspension issues I want to double check include
drifty handling and some wheel shimmy (when I have the front wheels jacked
up off of the ground I can move them back and forth a couple of degrees, as
though a bushing of some sort was worn.) Since I am going to be in there
I'll probably look at the steering box as well. Can I, armed with the shop
manual, "How To Keep Your Corvair Alive", the Corvair Basics book (which I
haven't bought yet, but will), and some tools, expect to be able to remove
the suspension, diagnose any problems, fix them, and actually get the car
back together, or is this more advanced stuff?

I feel like the car could be more tight on the road than it is, taking light
steering and all that into account. Thanks for any advice!

-Andy