<VV> newbie suspension question

N. Joseph Potts pottsf@msn.com
Mon, 8 Mar 2004 07:42:15 -0500

I think you're being hasty about dropping the front suspension. I think it's
MUCH easier and more-precise to diagnose deficiencies in the assembled,
working (such as it does), drivable components than it is to diagnose
disassembled pieces. There ARE exceptions to that rule, of course, but
there's no part of the front suspension you can't disassemble WITHOUT
removing the entire crossmember.
     I think I'd stay away from removing the crossmember unless: (a) you
identify some problem (rust is usually it) that it will require removal to
rectify; or (b) you want to detail-finish that part of the car for concours
competitions. Everything except the crossmember itself can be fixed without
removing the crossmember.
     I've never removed one, so I can't answer your question about how hard
it is. I HAVE fixed everything else involved in the front suspension and
steering.

Joe Potts
Miami, Florida USA
1966 Corsa coupe 140hp 4-speed with A/C

-----Original Message-----
From: virtualvairs-admin@corvair.org
[mailto:virtualvairs-admin@corvair.org]On Behalf Of Andy and Melissa
Sent: Sunday, March 07, 2004 10:19 PM
To: VirtualVairs@corvair.org
Subject: <VV> newbie suspension question

I'm contemplating the removal and overhaul of my '62 Monza's front
suspension. In the wise collective opinion of this group, can a somewhat
mechanically minded, but pretty inexperienced guy like myself handle a job
like this? Symptoms of suspension issues I want to double check include
drifty handling and some wheel shimmy (when I have the front wheels jacked
up off of the ground I can move them back and forth a couple of degrees, as
though a bushing of some sort was worn.) Since I am going to be in there
I'll probably look at the steering box as well. Can I, armed with the shop
manual, "How To Keep Your Corvair Alive", the Corvair Basics book (which I
haven't bought yet, but will), and some tools, expect to be able to remove
the suspension, diagnose any problems, fix them, and actually get the car
back together, or is this more advanced stuff?

I feel like the car could be more tight on the road than it is, taking light
steering and all that into account. Thanks for any advice!