<VV> Fan belt problems

J R Read_HML hmlinc@sbcglobal.net
Tue, 16 Mar 2004 16:36:21 -0600

Tony,

By the time you've thrown 3 belts, the pulleys are probably pretty rust
free.

I typically have to change one belt per yr on the icemoblile.  I sits for 10
months (outside).  The rust on the pulley usually wears out the belt in
about 200 miles.  I change it out and I'm good till next season.

BUT - while on the topic of belts... What is everyone's favorite?

I've pretty much been using the rapped Gates belts (from our major vendors),
but I'm not so sure I want to stick with them.  I had an (unknown) belt on a
previous Vair forever... like 60,000+ miles.  This was about 10 yrs ago.
The car (and belt) have gone to another owner or two since me.

That belt had top cogs (on the flat side).  I've not seen another one in
several years.  I was quite happy with that one and would do that again if I
knew what it was or where to get it.

Later, JR