<VV> GM "engineer" syn oil comments

mhicks130 at cox.net mhicks130 at cox.net
Sun Jul 3 23:58:48 EDT 2005

You see, this is what I was talking about.  Amsoil guys never just say "Amsoil's kinda good so I use it".  No, it's like it's the second friggin' coming of the oil god.  It's a cult I tell ya, a cult.  Just like the slick50 dudes.  Amsoil might be the greatest thing since sliced cheese but when I hear this kind of fanaticism I run the other way as fast as I can.

Of course, us Corvair guys are kinda like a cult the way we practically worship a goofy, 40 year old car.

mike

------------------------------

OK, just back from iowa, International Falls, etc....50+ digests to
catch up on....but will quickly respond to this one..because thihs
fella just blew his credibility....

Amsoil has never been sold on a "pyramid scheme".  And Amsoil has been
readily available in regular retail outlets for years.  Presnetly, off
hand, I know it's stocked in my local Champion Auto, NAPA,  L & M Fleet
Supply Store, two independent auto stores, and at least two quick lube
shops in my nearby town of only 8000 people.  I can only imagine how
much of it is available retail in a major market.

He obviously knows NOTHING about the company, how it got started, or
it's products.  Amsoil was the FIRST SAE/API approved synthetic oil for
automobiles.  I do not have the time or typing skill to churn out how
much this guy obviously dosen't know. If I had all my years worth of
test reports, trade publications, independent lab tests, etc..
organized and handy, or  in any sort of computer database I could
demonstrate.  Hmmmm....One GM Engineer verses 30 years of
data......from a guy who knows nothing about Amsoil....wonder what else
he dosen't know about? Pyramind scheme? Check the shelves of your local
FLAPS ladies and gentlemen. Amsoil has dedicated their business to
making the best oils and related products available.  They probably
don't know more about oil than Texaco...that's why the "oil" copanies
want you to change it every 3000...think of the INCOME they generate!

Oh..and of course..I'm an Amsoil fan...NOT a dealer, but a user for the
past 26 years. I fully support the use of any other synthetic oil as
well...but if you read all the specs you'll see which is best.

Oh..and BTW, synthetic oil does NOT get as "dirty" as dino oil.....if I
recall correctly..it's either 80, or 88% of the "dirt" which requires
you to change oil is generated as a byproduct of the burning of the
petroleum.....something that of course does not happen when there is no
petroleum in the oil.

Sorry..I got to this part and realized that I can no longer accept
anything in this post as accurate.  And if syn oils are so bad..why are
they the ONLY oil that works in jet engines, why has nearly every major
oil company now offered a synthetic, and why are so many cars coming
from the factory with synthetic fills in them? Rock and a hard place.
It's getting to where cars NEED synthetic oils to meet
mileage/pollution rules, operate under todays higher under hood temps,
etc..etc....but at the same time no one wants to lose the revenue
created by changing oil every 3000 miles.

All I know is..since Wednesday we ran over 1200 miles in the '64,
averaged 27 MPG, and used under 1/2 quart of oil, and that included 8
runs at the autocross.

"Marketing company"?????  Haahaahaahaahaahaahaahaa
May I suggest you stop by their facilities in Superior and have a tour?

My Iowa review coming tomorrow......if I get cuaght up....

Tim in Bovey