<VV> Loud noise when hot - SOLVED

Ron ronh at owt.com
Mon Jul 4 00:47:30 EDT 2005

Thanks to the excellent responses from VV, the screeching engine problem is
solved, I hope.  It turns out that the right head had all of the push rods
installed backwards and apparently have been that way for a long time as the
pivot balls are all deeply scored.  I never would have guessed that slightly
dry pivots could make so much noise!  The fact that the engine hasn't been
run for about fifteen years may have something to do with it.

Great responses were received from Bob Helt, Tom Zimmerman, Clark Hartzel,
Matt Nall and specifically Jerry McKenzie who reminded me to check the push
rod orientation.  I only regret that I pulled the head looking for the
problem and it wasn't really necessary.  I'm sure that I'm the only one who
has ever done that.

Thanks again,
RonH