<VV> Immeasurably longer

Chuck Kubin dreamwoodck at yahoo.com
Mon Jul 4 12:31:28 EDT 2005

----....'you can always tell a Spyder because it's
longer,' ------

Hey Arjay,
Now, now, before we dismiss this gentlement as a
member of the Great Unwashed who know nothing of
Corvairs, let's consider the validity of the
statement. You know how a perfectly innocent child
will say something extraordinarily profound or a moron
will pronounce exactly the one thing the genius will
miss? He's on to something.
Does a Spyder, this one in particular, have a coat of
silver paint on the rear panel like a Corsa? If so,
discounting the trim and rear bumper, the body would
be, in fact, longer than the others...by a coat of
paint.
There is also the optical illusion that occurs in
presentation, like being asked which of two identical
lines is longer: the one with lines sloping inward, or
outward.  Or, the illusion that can occur from a
differing point of view: is it a black vase on a white
background, or is it two white faces staring at each
other across a black space?
In this case, can a 1" difference in the ride heighth
indeed make this particular Spyder appear longer? Or
was it closer in perspective than a Monza?
Or is it a matter of superior observation, exhibiting
a power most others lack? Are we as a group able to
tell it is a Spyder by relying too much on the badge
that says "Spyder?" Are we concentrating too much on
other details, such as the turbo and extra gauges, and
have not noticed the longer body ourselves by being
too close to the trees to see the forest?
This man might have powers of observation, not to
mention the visual acuity to gauge such minute
differences,  equal to Einstein's grasp of physics. As
such, he is immeasurably invaluable to mechanical and
spatial sciences, the space program and medicine.
Next time, Arjay, consider these circumstances. You
should not be so quick to judge!
Or the guy is in the habit of spouting mule pucks
because he thinks his listener is somehow impressed by
his vast knowledge.  If so, my congratulations on
sparing him the embarrassment. It might have beem his
only chance this month to be right about something.
Sorry if I went Dennis Miller on you guys. Have a
GLORIOUS 4th.

Chuck Kubin