<VV> Re: anecdote-oil evidence

djtcz at comcast.net djtcz at comcast.net
Tue Jul 5 17:42:36 EDT 2005

>Subject: Re: <VV> mobil 1 user

>It doesn't tell you anything.  It's called "Anecdotal evidence" in the
>world of science, and it is a footnote.  It's nice to hear, but it's not
>scientifically valid.  The only real evidence is a wear vs time curve for
>synthetic and dino.  Everything else is emotional hyperbole.
>Dave Morris

I'd add deposit and varnish build up VS time also.  I've had a few engines that did not so much wear out as plugged up.  A Hot Rod Engine swap Handbook from the 60s advocated judging engine condition based on a sly peak at the valve train area through the oil filler hole (on engines built that way).  Accumulated gunk was a bad sign.  I have come to regard that test as very useful. although cleanliness may indicate a desperate attempt to fix a sad engine.