<VV> Cold Solder?

Roger Gault r.gault at sbcglobal.net
Tue Jul 5 23:20:06 EDT 2005

Alkaline AAs have an interior resistance of about 30 milliohms and an open
circuit voltage of about 1.2V.  So at 10 amps, they put out about .9V, or
about 9 watts each.  Two of them therefore give about 18 watts, which is
enough to solder small circuits.  At lower currents, they're good for about
2.5 amp-hrs, which would imply that they would go about 15 minutes, but
they're not capable of that at 10 amps.  So, say they might make 8-10
minutes.  That's still a lot of time if you don't have to keep the iron hot
between actual soldering activities.

I haven't tried one of these irons, but there's nothing theoretically wrong
with the concept.  Myself, I tend to want to solder 8 or 10 gauge copper
wire, so I need more heat.  I miss my old 250 watt gun.  ;-)

Roger