<VV> Synthetic or Dino Engine Oil to Prevent Sludge?

FrankCB at aol.com FrankCB at aol.com
Wed Jul 6 14:39:15 EDT 2005

        While I use synthetic oil in all my engines, I think another factor
is involved in sludging up engines.  IMHO, the secret to avoiding sludge is
getting the engine and oil temp up to "full operating temp" as quickly as
possible.  So everytime I start an engine, it runs long enough to reach that point.
If I want to move a car from the driveway to the curb (or lawn) I start the
cold engine, drive a block and get on the freeway and run 5 miles, turn around,
run 5 additional miles back to my house.  (Who you callin' paranoid(:-) In the
winter I use a block heater so I can start up the engine that's already 50
deg.F above ambient and immediately put it in gear and begin  driving.  No
warming up (and sludging up) in the driveway.  When I took my old 81 Reliant for NJ
inspection years ago it easily passed the emission test still with the
ORIGINAL factory catalyst.  The inspector commented that "No wonder it was in such
good condition since it had only 87,000 miles on it".  Somehow I "forgot" to
tell him the odometer didn't show the ONE in front of the 87,000.  So it
actually had 187,000 miles!!!  Too bad the body wasn't in such good shape as the
engine.
       So to avoid sludging, warm up the engine by DRIVING and drive it at
least 10 miles at highway speeds.
       Frank "what, me obsessed?" Burkhard