Fwd: Re: <VV> Rocker

Padgett pp2 at 6007.us
Thu Jul 14 00:19:20 EDT 2005

>I would examine the others very carefully for cracks but more important,
>check the push rod for straightness, blockage, and proper orientation
>(will not oil properly otherwise). If everything else looks good I'd just
>replace the one rocker and ball, put a spare along with a pushrod in a big
>baggie in the trunk, adjust, and see what happens.

BTW note I said this is what *I* would do. Have also been known to take old
cars on long trips with a 50 lb toolbox and replace everything from
alternators to wheel bearings in the parking lot of an auto shop 300 miles
from home. Have rebuilt a Corvair transmission on the back of a trailer
before. Biggest concern is to have some old clothes along so wife won't get
mad at me.

Perhaps the proper answer for someone who needs to ask is to replace
everything just to be safe. Is what a professional mechanic would recommend
to someone with deep pockets. Since I am cheap , I tend to fix only what's
broke particularly if it is something easy to get at and doesn't normally
break. Should have suggested to run a compression check before firing up
again just to be sure that no valve is stuck.

Padgett