<VV> Re: sick of my Corvair

Mike Stillwell yenko117 at yahoo.com
Thu Jul 14 08:06:40 EDT 2005

 I feel compelled to wiegh in here... I've had a $4500
race engine die with 60 miles on it, so I know the
pain.
 In my experience, there are good cars and bad cars.
I'm not sure if it's a Karma thing or what, but I
think there is something to it. Most of the 7 I
currently have are really good cars. The red '66
Corsa, even though it's in Group Red for tank hoses,
is a very good car. It had not been started or driven
for a year when it was given to me 5 years ago. I
drove it home 200 miles at 70 or better with no
problems at all. My convertible hanger queen is a very
good car. The brakes are factory fresh - they've been
bled, but never rebuilt - don't leak, stop perfect.
 The one common trait of most of my cars is that they
are low mileage. All are 80K or less, save my wrecked
daily driver which has 227K on it. When I bought it at
140K, I systematically replaced all of the brakes,
wheel bearings, sealed the engine and a ton of other
stuff over a period of 2 years. Mechanically it was a
brand new car when I was done. It is currently stored
about 4 hours away from home right now, and a few
weeks ago, I started it for the first time in a year,
with a few pumps of the pedal and a twist of the key.
It's a good car, and I can't bring myself to get rid
of it, because I know how great of a car it has always
been.
 It really sucks that Jim and Mike have had these
problems with their cars. I believe their experiences
are atypical, but any old car generally is going to
need work, especially when they are all almost 40
years old or better.
 As an aside, I know Jim's Caddy is a low mileage car
that has always been very well cared for. That can
only help but make it a fun old car to own.

 Regards to all, don't let them beat you,

 Mike
 YS-117