<VV> Re: Corvair dolly towing question & brake tool question

Keith Hammett khammett at stainlessfab.com
Mon Jul 18 11:08:52 EDT 2005

Harry,

I think that some folks are afraid of overheating the PG fluid and thus like
to run the engine to get cooling.  The cooling comes from the torque
converter.  The tech manual has some ideas on doing this.  I think that the
"whale" owners can jump in here and offer their expertise in the matter, I
don't think that they run the engine on the towed vehicle (unless to help
push the whale over the mountains he he).

On a dolly you need the wheels to pivot and thus you want the front wheels
to be on the dolly.  Most dollies recommend that you unlock the wheel I
believe (could be wrong, have been before).

I towed both a '65 monza vert and a '62 rampy (both pg's) across Missouri on
a dolly with the rear on the ground with no ill effects (fluid looks and
smells just fine).  Just make sure your in neutral before you pull out,
otherwise the engine is turning...

Keith Hammett

Just what is the "plier" end of the brake tool for anyway besides pinching
you?