<VV> RE: Towing Per the Tech Guide

Padgett pp2 at 6007.us
Mon Jul 18 13:38:54 EDT 2005

>  I question that
>if towing causes that much heat to be generated to harden up seals, what
>kind of heat is generated when the transmission is under load?

The issue is not related to load but rather a lack of lubrication - if a
wet bearing runs dry it will heat and ultimately seize. Not pretty. The THM
transmissions I am used to had a torque converter driven pump that did not
operate when the engine was stopped, the usual technique to flat tow was to
drop the drive shaft.

Apparently the Corvair powerglide (going from reports, I do not know) has a
"rear" or driveshaft driven pump that would keep ATF flowing to the needful
points. If so there would be no problem with the transmission.

I suspect that even so it would not hurt to start and run the engine
briefly at stops in a long trip.

Padgett