<VV> Flat towing a manual transmission

Ewell Mills emills5 at cfl.rr.com
Wed Jul 20 21:26:47 EDT 2005

This thread has been going on for quite awhile now, and I have read all kinds of things that I did not know about. (good lessons).  My point is this.  In all the talk about what will happen if you don't do this that or the other, lash the clutch down etc. so and so will happen.  What is strange is that there have been numerous comments made by various people that they have done this and had no trouble what-so-ever. (including myself)  Unless I missed it, I have yet to see a single one where someone destroyed or otherwise damaged a transmission from flat towing one.  I'm old, and it has been my experience over the years that most any straight shift transmission can be flat towed with no ill results.  I used to do it all the time when I had motor homes, as did lots of other people and still do.  Motor home supply stores used to sell needed parts to pump oil through an automatic while being pulled with a warning light in the motor home should the external pump fail. Just my .02 cents worth.

Cecil Mills
Cocoa, Fl.