<VV> Re: 62 Turbo Knock Issues

Garth Stapon stapon1 at earthlink.net
Thu Jul 21 23:18:31 EDT 2005

Hi:

I have a 65 Monza with a 62 Turbo Motor with a 1 1/2 inch SU carb and a very
large fan pulley. The previous owner raced this car and switched the pulley
to prevent the belt from coming off. I know that I have reduced cooling
effect due to reduced fan speed and will switch it back.

He milled the heads to increase compression and the problem I face right now
is that there is THUNDERING engine knock at anything below 4,000 rpm. Above
4,000 rpm (with 94 octane), things quiet right down. He told me to use
aviation gas to eliminate the knock. The car had av gas when I test drove it
and oddly enough did not knock.

I had Grant redo a factory 62 carb, so I can put the original carb back on
if it makes sense.  I have been following the threads on 95 heads being the
best for turbo - even better than a stock turbo head from what I saw. I
asked Grant to equip it with fat jets.

Here are my questions.

1) Can I make the car run without knock with the SU carb with the milled
head at normal RPM's? (Fatter jets maybe?) The use of aviation gas is not a
practical solution for me.

2) Am I better off to put the factory carb back on? What are the advantages
of keeping the SU carb? The previous owner seemed pretty hot on it as
suggested that it was worth some money. I just want a car that runs well at
less than 3/4 throttle.

3) Can I just simply lower the compression ratio reliably with a gasket kit
from a vendor or am I better off to buy a new (to my car) set of heads?

4) Has anyone seen some real world advantages in replacing the stock turbo
heads with the 95 specially prepared heads?

5) Would there be any advantages to installing a set of truck heads that
have the valve rotators? Is this practical on this motor? Are these still
available?

Do I need to consider anything special with the 145 cubic inch motor that
would not apply to any other Corvair motor that will control the engine
knock? (I already tried to retard timing and took it down to six degrees and
it still knocked)

I suspect my compression ratio is around 10 to 1, but I am not sure.

Please e mail me off line.

Regards, Garth

(Late Power Glide Sedans Rule) - because 110 HP motors are simple.