<VV> Re: filling gaps

djtcz at comcast.net djtcz at comcast.net
Sat Jul 23 12:37:51 EDT 2005

bottom posted reply
> From: "Jim McLott"
> Subject: RE: Sealing gaps between body panels
> Many thanks to the people who answered my question about sealing a gap
> at right front of the trunk on my 1966 convertible. Based on the number > of responses I got that suggested I use body seam sealer, I may not have
> been entirely clear about the size of the gap. The gap is large enough
> to almost get your hand through, so unless seam sealer is extremely
> viscous, I don't think it will do the job alone. Something is going to
> have to hold it in place while it sets up. Filling the hole with a big
> wad of strip caulk (dum dum) followed by a coat of seam sealer seems to > be the best way to fix it.

I'm kind of surprised you have a gaqp that big to deal with, unless something is bent.  Generally I prefer to fill gaps with something solid, leaving "normal"  sized gaps for the sealer.  I've been eyeing the synthetic deck planking  sold at hardware type stores as a readily workable thick material, but have not subjected any to real weatering or painting  tests.