<VV> Early Engine

Geoffrey A Johnson geoffj at unm.edu
Tue Jul 26 14:22:41 EDT 2005

I have a ton of early engine parts and figure I can assemble a good early
engine for only the cost of parts cleaning and gaskets.  I have a
ton of parts, here is what I am
thinking so far.
Have a 30,000 mile crankcase, needs a good cleaning.  It and its crank and
bearings look brand new.  Have a mated set of 60 jugs bored to 61-69
standard,
and pistons and chrome rings, with 8,000 miles, from an engine with a
failed cam.  Here it the consideration.  Have good 80 hp heads, that could
go on it.   Also have a set of milled  64 95 heads.
Also cam choice is the other consideration.
I have on hand a ISKY 260 cam, early 80 cam, early 102 cam, and a 891
cam.
I am leaning towards the isky cam and the milled 95 heads.  I am thinking
that those heads with a early crank should give a low CR, that is brought
back up by the gasket step being gone.  This should give a decent CR along
with a good quench.  Can anyone tell me offhand what the CR would be then?
So I can get a ballpark estimate before I actually measure and calculate?
Not looking for big HP, just a good reliable low end torque engine to push
around a 61 Powerglide
Sedan.

-Geoff Johnson