<VV> Seat track extenders.

Padgett pp2 at 6007.us
Wed Aug 2 11:23:34 EDT 2006

>  I'm thinking that I am going to reinstall them
>because the seat seems too close to the steering wheel to me, even though I
>am only 5'10".

Am also 5'10" and had the same problem however with a 29" inseam the
correct pedal position is found one notch forward of full back on the stock
rails. Further back and the pedals are a stretch.

Did three things to improve the steering wheel position on my 66 with stock
steering wheel.:
1) removed the 3/8" plastic spacer/stop from the bottom of the seat back
and reinstalled just the screw and a washer. This allowed the seat back to
recline slightly from stock.
2) placed a 1/2" nut (raises front of seat about 1/2") under the front seat
pedestals. This required longer seat mount bolts but reclined the entire
seat a bit.
3) Installed a Grant #1760 steering wheel (1770 is same with black spokes).
15" diameter and 3.5" with 3" spacer. This is both a smaller diameter and
about 2" less dish than the stock steering wheel. A telescopic turn signal
lever is slightly shorter than stock and sits nicely. Earlier I tried a 13"
wheel and it was just plain uncomfortable.
( a 1760 is on ebay at moment -
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/99-Grant-1760-Formula-15-steering-wheel_W0QQitemZ270007097372QQihZ017QQ
- they appear quite often) . You will need a steering wheel adapter.

This combination is a comfortable one for me and the first two are free.

Padgett