<VV> Removing the front and rear window cowl panels... how?

Frank DuVal corvairduval at cox.net
Sun Aug 6 17:41:09 EDT 2006

The front cowl will come off after rmoving the screws along the front
edge. It is a tight fit, but it slides onto tabs on the little panel
below the windshield.

The rear cowl (air vent) below the rear window (backlight) goes on
before the glass is installed, as the glass setting compound (butyl
tape) is placed on this part. You cannot remove the panel without
removing the glass (if the glass is to remain complete!)

If you think this is a bad idea to mount the window to a removable
panel, look at a late 70's and 80's full size Chevy Van, the front
fender is installed before the windshield! To remove the front fender,
as small as it is, you must remove the windshield first, or replace the
broken windshield later!

At least the backlight in a Corvair is tempered and usually come out
without breakage.

Frank DuVal