<VV> starter clicks

Frank DuVal corvairduval at cox.net
Sun Aug 6 21:38:28 EDT 2006

Questions inserted:

Paul Abel wrote:

> Starter just clicks when I turn the key.

Have you clicked it about 50 times? Sometimes bad solenoids will work
now and then...

> I checked all ground connections, and starter's getting juice. I tried
> arcing the solenoid with a screwdriver. Starter still just clicks.

Did you put the screwdriver between the large terminal where the battery
cable attaches and the small terminal with the purple wire? If so then
the solenoid could still be the bad part.

Did you short between the two large terminals with the screwdriver? If
so then the starter is bad, probably worn brushes.

> I bypassed the 2 prong connector before the starter. Wire running
> directly from coil to starter, same thing with ground (purple wire) to
> solenoid.

The purple wire is not ground! It is the +12 volt feed to the solenoid
when the key is in the start position.

> Do I have a bad solenoid? Just trying to start the car after cold
> adjusting valves. At first it fired right up, but wouldn't run, died
> right away. Did this a couple of times, then the starter jammed. I
> will also mention that when I tried disconnecting the wire on the
> positive terminal on the solenoid, guess what, it's rusted. The whole
> shaft turns, so I just pulled the old wire off.

Now we know the solenoid is now bad. The plastic (bakelite?) cap is all
that holds the terminal tight. Pulled the wire off? It should be in a
crimp terminal.

> Problem is, I have no way of connecting the new wire, so I just have
> it sort of wrapped around the terminal for now. I thoght of
> temporarily connecting it with an alligator clip.

If you are talking the big wire to the battery, you would need an
aligatior clip the size of jumper cable clips. The proper size crip
terminal will require a BIG crimping tool, one you do not want to buy.
May be easier to get another battery cable. You can try bending the wire
around the bolt and tightening the nut..... Flatten the wire and use
solder to make a terminal looking end. This can be done, but is difficult.

> Also, I have another starter and solenoid, but I can't get the
> solenoid off, or the inboard starter bolt loose. Just cant reach in
> and get the right leverage on it to break it loose. Any suggestions?

Replace the whole starter/solenoid assembly with the used unit. You can
test the used unit with jumper cables, put +12 (red) lead on the big
terminal, the ground clamp on the body of the starter, and use a
screwdriver to short the big terminal to the S terminal (one of the
small ones). Plant your foot firmly on the starter on the ground so it
will not whip away. Lots of torque here.

> Frustration mounting,

FWIW, the R terminal goes to the ignition coil + terminal. This has
nothing to do with making the starter turn. A good explanation of how a
solenoid works was done by VVer Ned. Maybe a search of the archives or
Google will turn up the web site.

Frank DuVal