<VV> Car Shows and Sealing Wax

Dave Keillor dkeillor at tconcepts.com
Tue Aug 8 11:00:52 EDT 2006

One more post to clarify a few things.  My original suggestion to move
the Car Display to Saturday and make it a judged Car Show (judging
optional) was intended to:
*	Provide an opportunity for convention attendees to show off cars
at all levels -- from Concours to daily driver.
*	Get more visibility for the Corvair by having the show on a day
when many people are off work.
*	Have a level of competition below Concours for those who don't
wish to compete in Concours (People's Choice does not constitute
competition by my definition).

I am not anti-Concours.  I'll illustrate my suggestion with a tale of
two cars.

Car 1: '65 Monza coupe.
This is my wife's car and has been in the family since 1966.  It's a low
mileage car (65K actual) that I have been planning for some time to
enter in Concours at Detroit.  This car, when it's done, will be worthy
of Concours by my definition of the term.  It's undergoing a complete,
ground-up, rotisserie restoration.  Virtually every nut and bolt has
been disassembled.  The undercarriage will be media blasted and painted
in the next month or so, then it's off to the painters for a high-buck
paint job.  The posi diff has been treated to a 3.55 ring and pinion
with an extra set of spider gears (courtesy of Gary Funkhouser).  The
20K mile 140 engine is being rebuilt with forged pistons, high squish
heads, performance cam, etc.  The suspension is being redone with all
new bushings, F-41 springs, Koni shocks, etc.  The interior will get
Corbeau seats and a custom upholstered rear seat to match the Corbeaus.
This is a car that fits my definition of Concours-worthy.  (Before you
go off on this statement, this is *my* standard for *myself*, not my
standard for anyone else.)  Btw, this car will be driven to Detroit

Car 2: '66 Monza convert.
This is my car and it's very nice with very nice with factory air.
However, as I've mentioned previously, this car has an undercarriage
that hasn't been touched for years.  By *my* standard this is not a car
that I would enter in a Concours competition even though it would
probably point pretty well.  It simply doesn't measure up to *my*
standard of a Concours car.

Is my definition of concours-worthy twisted?  Perhaps, but it's my
definition for me.  Others may differ and that's okay as long as they
don't impose their definition on me (and I certainly won't impose mine
on them).

At the outset all I wanted to propose was a place for cars like my
non-concours-worthy '66 to compete.  Plus the bonus of more visibility
for Corvairs.

Dave Keillor