<VV> Win some Corvair spending money by identifying Fisher Body tagaccessory codes

Kent Sullivan kentsu at corvairkid.com
Tue Aug 8 11:15:21 EDT 2006

(sending same message to Virtual Vairs, FastVair, and Corvanatics; also sent
to Stock Corvair Group)

Hi folks,

It was great seeing many of you in Buffalo at the Stock Corvair Group
meeting and at the Annual Stock Corvair Event. We sure saw and documented
some amazingly original cars!

The convention was also productive on the topic of Fisher Body tag accessory
code research:

1) Jim Allen's '65 Corsa convertible is equipped with the very rare (for
'65) deluxe rear seat belts. His car has the expected 5Y code on the Fisher
tag and he also provided me a copy of the original typed invoice, which
lists the option. We can now be 100% certain that 5Y is the code for this
for 1965. And, Jim's car tells us that 5Y indicates front AND rear deluxe
belts (RPOs A49 + A47) because his car's tag does not have 5W, which is used
for front deluxe belts only (A49). This means that 5Y always means front and
rear deluxe belts since this code is used in '66 and '67 for the combined
option (RPO A39).

2) Bob Bentz provided a body tag from a '66 500 sedan that has the 3A code,
which confirms that this code was indeed used in '66 for factory rear door
armrests (as well as '65).

And just after the convention:

3) Dave Leiter was able to confirm that 2H represents RPO C48, heater
delete, in 1965.

Previously, we also learned the following:

4) Dave Ziegler and Chris Nicholson were both able to confirm that 1L
indicates RPO A67, fold-down rear seat, for non-Monzas in 1963.

5) Dennis Dorogi provided an extremely rare Fisher Body Buyout sheet from
his 1965 Monza sedan. The sheet provided the two remaining seat belt-related
codes for 1965:
5G: RPO A64, standard rear seat belts
5Y: RPO A47, deluxe rear seat belts

6) Greg Schupfer was able to confirm that 2R represents RPO U80, rear seat
speaker, in 1967.

All six pieces of information have been incorporated into the online version
of the article on my web site at www.corvairkid.com.

******************************
*>>>>>>>>>>>>><<<<<<<<<<<<<<<*
*> But we're not done yet!! <*
*>>>>>>>>>>>>><<<<<<<<<<<<<<<*
******************************

As I mentioned at the SCG meeting, now is the time to go digging through any
Corvair boneyards that you have access to. Can someone commit to visiting
the Corvair Ranch? I talked with Jeff Stonesifer at the convention and he is
happy for some folks to drop by and have a look.

There are lots of smaller collections of Corvair derelicts... We need to
visit them soon! For example, can someone volunteer to go visit Norm King's
stash near Flint, MI?

Below is what we still need. As you can see, we are essentially done with
1965. Yay!! 1966 is in good shape. Several questions still about 1963 and
1967 though.

1963
====
* Any car with a factory rear seat speaker. (confirm)
* Any car with a Y in group 2. (confirm)
* Any car with a P in group 3. (confirm)
* Any car with factory heater delete.
* Any 700-series sedan with factory rear door armrests.
* Any Oakland car with a K code.

1965
====
* Although we have solid evidence for 5G and 5Y, since these options are so
  rare, please let me know if you find any cars with these codes!

1966
====
* Any Los Angles model 500 sedan with factory headrest bench front seats.
* Any car with factory deluxe front shoulder belts. (confirm)
* Any car with factory seat belt delete (exported cars only). (confirm)

1967
====
* Any sedan with factory non-deluxe rear center seat belt.
* Any car with factory heater delete. (confirm)
* Any car with factory non-deluxe front shoulder belts.
* Any car with factory seat belt delete (exported cars only). (confirm)

Remember, any item you find is worth $20 unless it's marked "confirm"; then
it's worth $10.

Thanks,

--Kent