<VV> Replacing the Crossmember

John Neal nealj at twcny.rr.com
Tue Aug 8 21:41:28 EDT 2006

Teammates, I'm looking for some sage advice as I prepare to rebuild the
front end of my beloved 'Vair up here in New York.   I find my front
crossmember has the strength of a four-day old loaf of French bread and I'm
going to pull it out and replace it with a nice old used one.  I've got the
shop manual and it seems deceptively simple.too simple.  I'd appreciate some
advice on this task from those who have been there.

- What kind of fasteners are on top of the frame to hold the crossmember in
place?  They seem difficult to access.  Any tips on pulling those 40
year-old bolts?

- I intend to replace all the ball joints, tie rod ends, shocks, bushings,
and grommets as a part of this effort.  Anything else I should consider
there? Springs?

- Any tips on making this an easier success?  Is aligning the new
crossmember with the frame holes likely to be a challenge?

She's a 1966 Monza convert.  The rocker panels have been reinforced and are
solid. The only structural problem I see is the crossmember at this point.
I'd appreciate some helpful advice on this task.

Thanks,

John