<VV> Replacing the Crossmember

BBRT chsadek at adelphia.net
Tue Aug 8 22:20:08 EDT 2006

See below
----- Original Message -----
From: "John Neal" <nealj at twcny.rr.com>
To: <virtualvairs at corvair.org>
Sent: Tuesday, August 08, 2006 9:41 PM
Subject: <VV> Replacing the Crossmember

> Teammates, I'm looking for some sage advice as I prepare to rebuild the
> front end of my beloved 'Vair up here in New York.   I find my front
> crossmember has the strength of a four-day old loaf of French bread and
> I'm
> going to pull it out and replace it with a nice old used one.  I've got
> the
> shop manual and it seems deceptively simple.too simple.  I'd appreciate
> some
> advice on this task from those who have been there.
>
> - What kind of fasteners are on top of the frame to hold the crossmember
> in
> place?  They seem difficult to access.  Any tips on pulling those 40
> year-old bolts?

****The front two bolts on each side bolts bolt into nuts welded to top of
frame, as I recall and the nuts may break loose so you need to be able to
get to them, or break the heads of the bolts off and then get them out of
the hole. The rear most one bolts in to a square nut called a cage nut which
fits in the little cage you can see. It will be rusted tight, too.  Vendors
and specialty hardware stores carry the square nuts.  Or you can drill a
piece of square quarter inch steel and tap it.

> - I intend to replace all the ball joints, tie rod ends, shocks, bushings,
> and grommets as a part of this effort.  Anything else I should consider
> there? Springs?

****Generally the right side ball joints are worse than the left.  There are
quite a few bushings. Do not collapse lower control arm or bend upper when
installing bushings. This is a good time to replace brake lines. Especially
the one to the right front.

> - Any tips on making this an easier success?  Is aligning the new
> crossmember with the frame holes likely to be a challenge?

**** I have never heard of a problem. Cna't remember if I took out the gas
tank, but a wonderful time to do it... Reasonably easy to clean and seal
yourself.

Good Luck

Chuck S