<VV>Overdrive

FrankCB at aol.com FrankCB at aol.com
Sat Aug 12 17:34:27 EDT 2006

Yes, I remember the Borg Warner OD quite  well.  It was on my 1951 Hudson
Hornet along with a 4.11 rear end, so  the overall ratio was about 2.8 (the OD
was about 0.7 by  itself).  It was great for cruising with the big Six engine
that had a 4.75  inch stroke.  I remember driving over 100 mph (indicated) on
the  Turner Turnpike in OK about 50 years ago (when I was young and
foolish<GGG>).  The interesting thing about the BW OD was that it  included a "free
wheeling" operation, so that you could shift without the clutch  provided you did
it at reasonable speeds and before the overdrive engaged.   It tried to engage
at 28 mph so I added a switch on the gearshift  that opened the circuit to the
solenoid so I could shift without the clutch  until I let go of the switch.
The stock procedure was to floor the  throttle to downshift out of overdrive
but I could simply press my switch, ease  off the gas and make it downshift
without full throttle.  The overdrive  also worked in 2nd gear where I used to
put it when merging onto major  highways.  That way if I really had to
accelerate at the last instant, I  could simply floor the throttle and the trans would
immediately downshift from  2nd overdrive to 2nd normal gear with an immediate
increase in revs and  POWER.
    The BW OD was a planetary gearset unit placed  on the end of the regular
3 speed trans so it required a shorter driveshaft  to lead back to the
differential between the rear wheels.  I wish there was  some way to convert one to
use on the 4 speed (or even the PG) of the  Corvair.  That way the overall
gearing ratio could drop to a fine  cruising 2.5 overall ratio.  This would drop
the engine speed at 70  mph to about 2500 rpm instead of the stock 3500 rpm.
But how to  accomplish this??
    Regards,
    Frank "likes tall gearing"  Burkhard

In a message dated 8/11/2006 8:57:51 AM Eastern Standard Time, pp2 at 6007.us