<VV> I don't know what you and I don't know, and what to do about it

djtcz at comcast.net djtcz at comcast.net
Sun Aug 13 08:48:52 EDT 2006

Date: Sun, 13 Aug 2006 00:29:09 EDT
From: TimogensTurbo at aol.com
Subject: Re: <VV> Gear lube- I don't think so.......
To: virtualvairs at corvair.org

In a message dated 8/12/06 5:10:19 PM Pacific Daylight Time,
lonwall at corvairunderground.com writes:

>   About 20 years ago we rebuilt a differential for a
> customer who hurridly put it in his car and drove to Phoenix, AZ (about
> 1200+ miles from here). He called us  anout 90 miles from Phoenix
> screaming at us about our "defective" differential which had seized up.
> Baffled, I asked him what type of axle fluid he put in it. Well, he
> hadn't, he thought we had.

For a decade or two I worked in a specialty automotive/m-cycle machine shop.
When we assembled press fit rods and pistons we cleaned everything and lubed the wrist pins and put each assembly in a stout plastic bag, and explained that no other parts were clean enough for assembly. Normally balanced Pistons were returned with pins slid in bores, with pistons wrapped in groups of 2, 3 or 4, with a card advising not to interchange the pins for reasons of balance.

A shop we dealt with for cycle work returned all parts or assemblies wrapped in stout plastic bags.  There would be a pre-printed label saying the part was clean for engine assembly (assembled cylinder heads or multi-piece cranks with rods) or preserved but not clean enough for assembly (cylinders).

Now it is almost 30 years later, and I work for a company making a MULTI megawatt superconducting motor.  The oil cooling skid is sitting a few hundred miles from here, and it has been determined that the pressure relief valve will need to be set to a new value.  The word has been spread by phone and e-mail but I intend next time I am on site to afix a brown tag with wire to the valve and to the control panel with a warning and 2 contact phone numbers.

--
Dan Timberlake