<VV> PG leak

john jncmiller at mchsi.com
Sun Aug 13 09:41:59 EDT 2006

not so young anymore curt wrote:

well im not going to go into why i disagree with you but i do. but i will mention that going to your local parts store too get a fatter o-ring just because carks doesnt have a viton one is rediculous because if you werent in such a hurry to think if clarks doesnt have it nobody does reasoning you would have known corvair underground does have it in viton but i will tell you 80% of the time its the cable not the tv lever but it doesnt matter because while your there replace both with viton and yes cu has both of them in viton

Ok....but after 40 years of wear on this constantly moving lever this has been my fix.....I have only found one leaking cable and it was due to stripped threads on the tranny case. 80 % of the time? Ok you want to say I am wrong.....great...but my solution on the overnite leakdown is more likely than a shift cable that sits in a higher position than the TV lever....suggesting it should leak when the transmission is in operation. After an overnite park/cooldown it leaks a puddle as the pan fills back up over the lever area. Do you fill your PG to the level of the shift cable? Seems like simple reasoning to me. And no I did not suggest the local parts store.....I said hardware store or plumbing supply.....but thanks I was 100% unaware of CU's vitons.
 Would you concede that an o ring and 20 minutes of labor is probably worth trying before you buy and replace the shift cable or spend hours trying to wrap it?
  If you want to be right ....ok your right....but my suggestion has worked for me over and over again, and I have yet to find the "leaky cable" in my region.

John Miller
Iowa
always willing to be wrong
F NADER

PS. Bill H.  I not having plate problems.....the state of Iowa is. The ACLU called the State....they had basically forgotten about it.... I haven't lost yet....D--- newspapers.....