<VV> Generator light on - not now!

FrankCB at aol.com FrankCB at aol.com
Sun Aug 13 12:07:15 EDT 2006

Doug,
    Sounds like a voltage regulator problem to  me.  Next time it happens,
leave the engine running and tap on the  regulator with the handle of a wrench
or big screwdriver.  If that makes  the light go out, then that proves it's a
regulator problem.  I like to  plug a voltmeter into the cigarette lighter to
measure the system voltage.   Stock Corvair regulators are notorious for either
charging too much (too high a  voltage e.g. over 14.5 volts when fully
warmed) or not charging enough (e.g.  less than 13.5 volts)  Either way you're going
to have electrical  problems.  Replace the regulator, using a solid state
("transistorized")  unit if possible.
    Good luck,
    Frank "sparky" Burkhard

In a message dated 8/12/2006 7:48:53 PM Eastern Standard Time,