<VV>Tire "aging"

Bill Elliott corvair at fnader.com
Tue Aug 15 09:53:04 EDT 2006

Tires absolutely age... in several ways.

The tread compounds significantly harden with age, leading to
dramatically reduced traction. A 5-6 year old high performance tire
often degrades to the same traction levels as a newish economy tire...
and economy tires get even harder. Of course, how bad and how quickly
they degrade depend a lot on the tire itself and the levels of sun and
oxygen it's exposed to. I try not to drive aggressively on tires that
are over 5 years old.

Collector cars are particularly prone to this issue since the years and
not the wear do the most damage.

The rest of the tire ages as well... just not as quickly. Sun and oxygen
are still detractors (why you see RV's with protectors over the tires
all the time when parked) and the failure mode can be pretty
spectacular. (Dad recently lost a trailer tire on his camper... it just
flew apart at speed.. damaging the trailer as well). I concur that 10
years is a good rule of thumb... less if the tires have ever been run low.

The advances in tires and tread over the last several years have
resulted in tires that still have tread and look good long after they
are unsafe. I actually think this is a big part of the Ford
Explorer/Firestone issue... with tires that last 75k+, many of these
tires were over 5 years old... many of those years likely run at low
pressures, overheating the tires repeatedly. With tires that only last
20k, this isn't nearly the same problem...

The old Lotus Esprit I picked up had brand new Pirelli P7's on it..
still had the molding nubs. Looked absolutely perfect... always garaged.
But they were put on it 1991! They were square from sitting and running
even 30mph was disconcerting. They were sold hard we cracked a rim
dismounting them... and resorted to taking the 3 piece rims apart to
dismount the other tires...

Tires should be stored in cool places out of the sun and wrapped in
plastic...

Bill