<VV>Tire "aging"

Bryan Blackwell bryan at skiblack.com
Tue Aug 15 14:02:58 EDT 2006

Hi Bill,

I have read a number of reports of tread separating on old, but
otherwise apparently good tires.  This always seems to occur on the
highway, which makes sense given the heat goes up considerably as speed
increases.  The closest I've come is a bubble on the side of some
unknown age tires, again after a highway run - not really fast, but
probably 65.

It's probably reasonable to use old tires to move the car around, take
it to be painted, that sort of thing.  If you expect to drive the car,
even casually, any real distance or on the highway, then Bill Elliott's
age limit of ten years seems like a good rule of thumb.

--Bryan