<VV> Notes

Tony Underwood tonyu at roava.net
Tue Aug 15 17:55:58 EDT 2006

At 09:46 hours 08/15/2006, Bryan Blackwell wrote:
>Bear in mind that if the car has locked the tires, there's *nothing*
>you can do to the brakes that will shorten the stopping
>distance.  You need better tires.

Yep.   My functioning brakes comment was to confirm that the brakes
were doing what they should.   The remaining element is the tires and
they just slid.

>They don't really need to be wider, although finding good tires in a
>13 inch size is pretty tough.

...my point exactly.   And even if you do find better tires with
perhaps wider tread etc it's gonna be hard to fit them onto a stock
13" rim.

>You could consider going to a 14 or 15 inch steel wheel and hubcap
>combo, that will improve your tire selection and still look kinda
>stock if you stay at a 185 or 195 width.

Sure, go aftermarket and use wider rims, or pick up some 14" 4-lug
Japanese rims and use wider low profile 14" tires that would keep the
same height...  which would make it difficult to use the dogdish caps
and trim rings...  ;)   ...although something could be figgered out,
I imagine.    My old racer buddy Don Keesey did something like this
with his "sleeper" '64 426 Max-Wedge Plymouth Fury, which came with
14" wheels and he wanted to keep the original wheel covers but wanted
a more serious rear tire...  he had some 15" rims banded so as to
mount 12" wide tires and then had a 14" wheel outer rim perimeter cut
off the wheel and welded onto the 15" rims so as to be able to mount
the 14" wheel covers.   It looked fine, not noticeable unless you got
up to the car and checked closer.

I'm not sure I wanna get that tacky.

Maybe I should just drive more carefully and consider that the car is
wearing narrow tires which won't stop it as quickly as something 8"
wide.    I'm not however against using a wider 14" wheel and tire
combo if I can wangle a way to still keep the factory dogdishes and
trim rings...  just to be obstinate.

...then I could start in on improving the original '60 style brakes,
which do tend to fade when they get hot and when diving off an
Interstate ramp it's not hard to get them hot.

And no metallic brakes, got 'em on the '62 ragtop and don't like them
much particularly when they're cold, then when they heat up they get
better; disconcerting when you're not quite sure just how the brakes
are gonna work when you get on 'em sudden-like.     Of course I could
get wacko and swap out the early style brakes for late brakes, easy
for the front but not so for the back.

tony..