<VV>Tire "aging" not necessarily Corvair related ....

David McMillan dmac632000 at yahoo.com
Tue Aug 15 21:53:04 EDT 2006

...except for the fact that I luckily WASN'T driving
my Corvair!

All this talk of good tires gone bad I just have to
tell this story:

Just two weeks ago I was going home from work in the
center lane moving along with the traffic on route 95.
About five car lengths in front of me and in the right
lane there was an 18 wheeler whose tire just exploded.
I heard a huge "BANG". Apparently, this did not faze
the driver as he continued on as though nothing had
happened. Now mind you, there was a good number of
cars on the road...rush hour, but everyone is moving
along at the normal 65-70mph. Cars on either side of
me, nowhere to lane-shift...see where we're going with
this?

 In front of me a Jeep Cherokee was able to climb over
the LARGE section of tire that had blown over into the
center lane (it must have been at least half the
circumference...but my little F**d Focus just wasn't
big enough. We plowed right into it (I couldn't go
right or left or stop in time), it left a nice black
mark on the front dam and it took out the right front
fender wheel-well. I think the radiator support bar
was damaged as well, but luckily, nothing more serious
than that. I was able to drive again after pulling
over to check to make sure nothing more was damaged
and to shake myself off. What an experience!