<VV> Re: HEADS ? AGAIN tinker tinker..

N2VZD at aol.com N2VZD at aol.com
Sun Aug 20 18:04:57 EDT 2006

well i have been  driving my rampy with its new engine for at  least 4 months
now.  so far it has done well , but in the pulling power  dept i wonder if i
shot myself in the foot?. i am running 140 heads with 2  carbs  (late type
with 51 jets) , 9889 cam,on a powerglide 3:55  differential. (205r14 tires) it
drives fair but i think it should have  more low end snot. would it be better
low end pulling with smaller intake valves  like 95hp heads? i am running .020
over octane cut pistons. it likes hi test gas  better no matter where i try the
timing, i run electronic ignition also. my main  question is would smaller
valves work better for my needs?  i do like 65 -  70 on the thruway at times
also. last year i fried pistons in the 110 engine  with 9891 cam and same
differential doing hills pinging away in vt (it was worth  it!). at least i limped
home ok on lots of oil. now i am almost afraid to   try the trip again with the
new motor. been real busy with the big move here so  i have not put enough
time into drive checking it out under hilly conditions  yet, just needed trips to
city and local shows with our club etc. any ideas with  this combo will be
looked at carefully. i may try 64 carbs without power  enrichment and different
jets also. hate to show up on a corvair tour in a  buick again , but probably
will,  if fuel economy matters i get about 16 -  17 mpg with it (darn near 30
with the park ave 3800) when it was a 4 spd with  the 3:55 i got over 20-24
all the time.
next i think i should put the 3800 drivetrain in the rampy..
regards, tim colson