Re.<VV> tirez

Padgett pp2 at 6007.us
Fri Aug 25 19:16:02 EDT 2006

>  I was curious how big a wheel can I put under the car without making
> mods to the body. I heard somewhere that the car can handle 15x7s in the
> front and 15x8s in the rear; is this true? Also, if that's true, then
> what would be the reccomend tire size?

Seems like this comes up at least once a month, shouldnt there be a FAQ
somewhere.

Are a number of things relating to tire and wheel size. The restriction is
the front is not just the diameter (about 25" max) but also the
offset/backspacing. Stock BS is about 4". Less and you need a smaller tire
e.g. 3.5" BS on a 6" wheel limits the diameter to about 24.5"

In addition, too much tire in the front and you will have difficulty

In the rear the there is more room and the diameter is not as much of a
problem. for a non-autocross car mine has14x6 wheels with 195x70x14s on the
front and 15x7 wheels, 215x65x15s on the back (were in the garage) and
think it looks pretty much as I would have liked in 1970.
http://padgett.ws/files/snowflake.jpg .

Padgett