<VV> (no subject)

Dan & Synde dsjkling at sbcglobal.net
Sat Aug 26 23:25:05 EDT 2006

Hi David,

How hard is an early 4-speed to rebuild?  That all depends on your
mechanical aptitude and abilities.  I myself wouldn't say that rebuilding
one is hard but it is involved.  If your mechanically inclined, and you like
puzzles, then go for it!!

You may want to try to find a complete 4-spd with good gears to rebuild
rather than trying to resurrect the one you have.  Chances are that most of
the other gears are not too far behind in going bad, especially the gears
that mesh with the ones that are already bad like the counter gear.

I would go through any good, used transmission and rebuild it unless i knew
for sure how many miles were on it and who worked on it last.  Then you know
what you have.  Bearings are cheap, gears are not.  If you decide to rebuild
one, you will find that you'll need a dummy counter shaft to ease the
installation of the counter gear needle bearings.  The vendors sell the
dummy shafts and they are well worth the few dollars that they cost.  You'll
also need a pair of snap ring pliers with the flat tips like the shop manual
shows and a few small drift punches for removing some of the rolled pins.
That it as far as specialty tools

You can do a disassembly and reassembly in a weekend if you have all the
replacement parts.  Hope this helps you in making a decision.

Dan Kling

1961 Greenbrier Deluxe, 4spd, 3.89  On the Road Again,  yeehaw :)
1963 Spyder, restored   4spd Saginaw
1967 Ultravan #299  Newest of the herd!! Almost killed me already!!

http://photos.yahoo.com/duchesskyra
A few pictures of the Greenbrier, UltraVan, engine and tranny tear down with
more to come!

David said:
>The  bad news is that several gears in the 4-spd are chewed up really bad.
Looks like I can