<VV> Re: Zoning issues from Sema

corvairs lonwall at corvairunderground.com
Mon Aug 28 19:51:52 EDT 2006

Tim - The history of mankind is one person trying to take away what
another person has. It's the eternal struggle. But before you condemn
your fellow man, ask yourself which of your own (I don't mean yours
personally) pet schemes, phobias, nifty ideas etc. you have supported as
codified law. If your answer is "none" I would say you're in a tiny
minority of the human race.

This is an important Corvair related discussion because the 33 years
I've been in business I have dealt with NUMEROUS Corvair "experts"
"collectors" "eccentrics" "cranks" whatever, who's basic problem wasn't
that they thought, because of some high libertarian morals, that they
were being wronged - oh no, it was because no one was going to tell them
what they could do on thier own property and everyone else could go jump
in a lake. Many of these folks had no regards for thier neighbor's
health or safety and some even seemed to enjoy ticking them off as much
as possible.

And he's how it works - Most of us would agree that there is a BIG
differnce between 20 abandoned Corvairs and one or  two. And the laws,
we would hope, would reflect that. Oh, but this where the devil has the
most fun. Because practicality says we want it both ways we have already
dismissed ourswelves from any "moral" or philosophical arguments. We're
in the business of drawing lines.  And like it or not that's always
where we are.

Before anyone thinks that they can  oppose many of these ordinances on
the basis of private property philosophy ought to sit, like I did, on a
city planning commission for 6 years and hear some of the biggest
property rights libertarians in town shuffle around while they tried to
explain thier opposition to adult book stores, an asphalt plant or a
cell tower in thier back yard. Some of them even supported a ban of
"abandoned" cars - even just one, because they thought it would make
thier own property values go up (It didn't pass). The problem is not
just the traditional "meddlers" we talk about - it's nearly all of us.
20 Corvairs is not an adult bookstore but then that's yours and my
opinion, isn't it?   Lon