<VV> RE: Are recalls (and warranties) just a sales gimmick

Charles Lee at Proper Pro Per chaz at ProperProPer.com
Thu Aug 31 15:54:18 EDT 2006

Can't blame 'em for tryin' !!

Some people are too "nice" to walk away, the way they were raised - "If you
have nothin' nice to say don't say anything."  Saying nothing means "go
ahead" to a mechanic.

To paraphrase PT Barnum, "Fools are fair game."

In 1969, I ordered a new Monza convert, just before they canncelled
production.

The dealer claimed that the car wasn't built, but would I take a Camaro
instead ?  Uh-uh.  I called GM and found out the car was BUILT AND SHIPPED.

Then they claimed it was "lost somewhere."

I made them "lend" me a car to drive while they "looked" for it.  I got a 65
Mustang convert (a real ratty one, although it was only 4 years old, and
auto trans to boot !)

I found my car (with a lot more phone calls) sitting in a rail yard in
Pennsylvania (on its way to New York.)

When I finally got it, they were not happy, and I suspect that they really
wanted that car, since it had every option in the book, including shoulder
harnesses, which were NOT in the book.

It was great to finally have my Corvair, except for a knock in the front end
that the dealership would not fix, although I don't remember their excuse.

I took it to Midas who said that I needed a whole new front end, but would
not put it in writing so that I could their evaluation to the dealer to
"prove" it needed to be fixed.

Of course, Midas said that I could use my receipt as proof after they
replaced everything, and after I paid for it. Hmmmm.... I don't think so ...

Finally, I took it to yet another shop, "Bellmore Brake and Spring" on Long
Island, and in less than 5 minutes, he put it on his lift and found the
front shocks simply were not tightened.

The "Bellmore Brake and Spring" mechanic tightened and Viola ! (or, "Oh boy
!" as they say in France) the car ran like a dream !  He didn't even charge
me, but gave me a receipt showing what he did.

I showed it to Midas management and to the dealer, both of whom were not
happy, mostly because they lost a lot of money.

Midas just wanted to make money, but I firmly believe, that the dealer
wanted my car ! (They kept offereing me the Camaro, and even upted it to a
427, but I declined.)

Consider the source, and their agenda when dealing with ANYONE ....

Chaz