<VV> Greenbrier Questions

Bryan Blackwell bryan at skiblack.com
Thu Jun 1 14:04:11 EDT 2006

I'll expand a little on Rad's comments too.  The Deluxe really is a lot
nicer, it's possible to convert a standard over but you need to swap
the window regulators.  Brakes are often a point of concern for those
unfamiliar with FCs, but as Rad says with good shoes they really do
stop - I've had no issues even fully loaded down a long grade.  We have
the Underground's high end Kevlar shoes, I'm sure that all of the
vendors' top of the line shoes would perform just fine too.

On the stick vs PG, bear in mind that mostly we were looking for a
really solid van more than anything else.  Ours is a fully loaded (such
as they were) '64 Deluxe.  I'll say that if you're going to drive one
with a PG and use it as intended (kids, dog, baseball gear, camping,
appliances, etc.) then you really want a 164 ci engine in it.  The
smaller engines will work with a stick, but even then the extra torque
is nice.  If you're going to go up and down a lot of hills, then the
four speed is better - third is just perfect.  In the rolling hills of
Virginia it's not an issue, but when you get into the mountains there
are places where low is too low and high is too high.  For around town
the PG is great, and you have the advantage of using the middle of the
front bench for a passenger.

--Bryan