<VV> TOURS AT THE CONVENTION

kaczmarek at charter.net kaczmarek at charter.net
Wed Jun 14 16:26:33 EDT 2006

Chuck
I was pleased to hear all the tours are selling out.
If you missed or won't be in town on Tuesday and want to make a tour of the city, I can help with a list of stuff not to be missed, complete with directions.

If you are otherwise occupied during the Falls tours, night or day, I can help there as well.  If you have never been to the Falls, and you likely won't be returning to WNY, See it both day and night. It's worth the trip back.

I believe that the dinner cruise is already sold out. If you would like to take a cruise on the river (and I recommend it highly), a 20 minute drive from the host hotel will get you to the Holiday Inn on Grand Island and it's River Tour Boat. I've not been on it, though I've seen it from my friend's property just down the road, and passed it on the river in a much smaller boat.  It's a nice trip, and worth the money.  One call to the Holiday Inn Grand Island (a local call from host hotel) will give you all the info you require.

Shopping In Buffalo can be a real experience. I don't know where the tour will take you, if you are on it.  The Galleria Mall (Walden Ave exit on I-90) will fulfill some of your shopping needs.  If your the artsy type, much closer to the hotel is the Allentown District, where boutiques and galleries abound.  Head up Delaware Av or Elmwood Av to Allen Street---you are then in the middle of the district.

The upper Elmwood Strip--From Forest AV South to Allentown also has many boutiques, as well as nice bistros.

If you're looking for some ethnic heritage shopping, you HAVE to visit the Broadway Market, 998 Broadway.  When this neigborhood (Old Polonia) was settled in the period 1860-1900, the area was majority Polish, and the market was developed to serve the tastes of the Polish and neighboring German community.

Until recent years, butchers still offered live fowl for sale to the "old Polacks" (I can say that being one meself) who refuse to buy poultry pre-packaged. There is also a wide variety of ethnic stalls in the market, along with stalls selling "Only in Buffalo" food items like Orange Chocolate, Super hot Horseradish, and Various meaty products.  If you are a meat lover, don't miss Redlinski's stall. I dump almost a hundred in there every time I go home. There are also stalls that sell Middle Eastern, African, and Caribbean foodstuffs and other items as well.

These ethnic markets are quickly becoming a thing of the past, so don't miss it.

If there is enough interest (off list requests please) I will elaborate on the Niagara Falls Tour I take my friends on, And the buffalo City tour as well.

If you wanted to get into the Tonawanda Plant and missed the tour, Can't help you with that.  The Open House they used to have for the local community was very good, and I hope they do y'all  the same.  One thing I saw back in the 60's that you wont---Test Firing of Corvair Engines (with Propane) on the stands---I know the guys running them all had socket wrenches in hand, I wonder if they were doing "hot" valve adjustments at the factory??

Well, after that thread ends, it'll be a whole new week!

Let me know if you want further information off list please.

I do have a special tour for those who feel I am a hopeless sociopath. At least one of you does.  Bring a  LOT of luck. You'll need it.

HANK